- Cars must stop at red traffic lights: similarly, bicycles should stop too.
- The author has made an insightful translation. Also, she has captured the poetic tone of the original piece.
- Ordering information by time
- At first I thought he was joking but then I realized he meant it.
- Trade opened between Europe and Japan; after that artists were exposed to Asian culture for the first time.
- Trade opened between Europe and Japan. Before that artists had had little exposure to Asian culture.
- There are two very good reasons why we can't do it. Firstly, we don't have enough money, and secondly, we don't have enough time.
- Trade opened between Europe and Japan; since then, the art world has done much to acknowledge this new partnership.
- You have to fry the garlic. Next, add the ginger.
- In accepting this award, I would like to thank the producer, the director, the scriptwriter and, lastly, the film crew.
- After the trade embargoes were abolished, eventually both parties realised the benefits of a trade partnership.
- Gradually, she realized that he wasn't telling her the truth.
- After months of looking he finally found a job.
- Jim fails to provide evidence for her argument: as a result this text is flawed.
- He's an expert in his field, and is paid accordingly.
- No control group was included in the experiment; thus, the conclusion drawn is rather ambiguous.
- Her mother was Italian, hence her name - Laura.
- I spent most of my money in the first week and consequently (as a consequence) had very little to eat by the end of the holiday.
- We were unable to get funding and therefore had to abandon the project.
- The government does not intend to cause any further provocation. For that reason, all troops have been withdrawn.
- The employers have promised to investigate these complaints, and we in turn
have agreed to end the strike.
- Generally (broadly) speaking, it's quite a good school.
- We have our bad times but on the whole we're fairly happy.
- There are a few small things that I don't like about my job, but by and large
it's very enjoyable.
- To a large/some/a certain extent
, this has been an encouraging year for the company.
- I'd better write it down, otherwise I'll forget it.
- Smith tends to use emotive language, indeed
, this makes her case highly persuasive.
- Offices can easily become more environmentally-friendly by, for example, using recycled paper.
- The chef required many ingredients to prepare her banquet; for instance, fresh herbs and many types of mushrooms.
- In conclusion, I would like to thank our guest speaker.
- In summary, the dietary needs of patients are important and should be the domain for trained nurses.
, each of the memory systems operates in tandem to allow learning and cognition to occur.
Of course, this list is not exhaustive, but it should give a few ideas about transition words you can use and recognise. Please do share with me the ones you often use or find in texts.
I hope you've enjoyed it.
Photo source: debrabell.com