Metaphors to do with the body
- You shouldn't point the finger at anyone for this difficult situation. It's solely your fault.
- We had a few hiccups when we set up the business, however, we have made steady progress.
- It broke her heart when he left her for another woman.
- The beauty of New Zealand takes my breath away.
- His awful chilhood experiences scarred him for life.
Metaphors to do with light
- I really couldn't solve the problem and then the answer came to me in a flash.
- When my children got the prize, they were glowing with pride.
- My sister's style has sparked my interest in fashion.
- David has lived his whole life being overshadowed by his famous elder brother.
- I was wondering why she was being extremely nice. It suddenly dawned on me. She wanted my money.
Metaphors to do with nature
- Laura and Justin have a stormy relationship. They often have some blazing rows.
- Her career blossomed after she was nominated for an Oscar.
- Helen was in floods of tears when she was told that her brother had been injured in a car accident.
- The root of all his problems is definitely lack of money.
- Sorry. I haven't the foggiest idea what you are talking about.
Metaphors to do with movement
- I've reached a crossroads in life. What should I do next? Help me!
- He followed in his father's footsteps and became a lawyer.
- This politician gave a long, rambling speech on the subject of fiscal policy.
- We aren't getting any nearer to solving the problem. We're just going round in circles.
- Europe has made impressive strides in improving energy efficiency for the last ten years.
Are you familiar with each of the metaphors? Do you use any of these on a daily basis?